/2023.01.13/

BLOG#5

Blog 5 📷

Using Tony Bates’ SECTIONS model to evaluate and select teaching media, technology tools, and platforms is a great approach. The SECTIONS model is a useful framework that considers many factors to help me make the best choices. From a teacher’s perspective, I believe that the most challenging information to evaluate may be cost and technology and skills. Because cost involves multiple aspects, such as the cost of purchasing or producing videos, video storage, and maintenance costs, it requires a detailed cost analysis. At the same time, producing and using videos also requires a certain level of technology and skills, which requires an assessment of the technical and skill levels of both students and teachers. Based on this evaluation, I already believe that video teaching would be a good educational strategy. If cost and technology can be resolved and meet the teaching objectives, I would choose to use videos as a learning medium and creative tool in the course to improve student learning outcomes and interest.

Tony Bates’ SECTIONS model

In the EDCI337 course, I believe that passive learning is reading the weekly learning content, while active learning is writing reflective blog posts for each topic. Finding the balance point in this class is very easy for me because WordPress is a great interactive tool and platform that can help students communicate and collaborate more effectively in active learning. For example, during the learning process, students can use blogs and comments to communicate and share their understanding and thoughts with other students.

In other courses, I would say that the balance point is based on different learning resources such as PowerPoint presentations, videos, textbooks, etc. In passive learning, students can watch videos and read textbooks, and then in active learning, they can complete homework and project practices. Comparing the two, I would say that I am more inclined to the course model of EDCI337 because based on my learning goals and plans, I can adjust the learning mode more freely according to my personal needs.

After trying out H5P, I felt that it is similar to a tool I had used before called “Kahoot”. However, compared to Yahoo, H5P is a more versatile tool for creating various interactive learning resources, including exercises, course assessments, games, interactive videos, and multimedia content. By creating interactive exercises, students can check their understanding and mastery of the course content. These exercises can include multiple choice questions, fill-in-the-blank questions, drag-and-drop questions, and sorting questions, among others.

The resources required for creating these resources depend on the type and complexity of the resource being created. For example, creating a simple multiple-choice question requires only a small amount of time and effort, while creating a complex interactive simulation may require more time and resources. Overall, the H5P plugin is a very useful educational tool that can provide rich learning experiences and provide educators with more teaching tools and resources.

In BLOG#4 I completed the story script and finished it as a video submission on Assignment 3, and I added H5P for interactive learning. Here is my video work.👇

Cited

Bates, A. W. (T., & Bates, A. W. (2015, April 5). Chapter 8: Choosing and using media in education: The sections model. Teaching in a Digital Age. Retrieved March 26, 2023, from https://opentextbc.ca/teachinginadigitalage/part/9-pedagogical-differences-between-media/

Learning games: Make learning awesome! Kahoot! (n.d.). Retrieved from https://kahoot.com/

1. junzebian

I like your videos very much. I also love flowers very much. I have a large succulent greenhouse in China. Growing flowers is a joyful and fulfilling thing.